My guest today puts his heart and soul into everything he does.
Ken Brownlee is the Founder and primary shooter of Visual Media Productions in Playa del Carmen. Today he shares funny stories about shooting weddings, tips for brides and his favorite food joints.
When Ken was a teenager, his parents would drive from Canada to Florida, to get away from the harsh winters. Ken loved spending a month in the water, and didn’t want to return to the cold. He decided, after college, to become a scuba instructor and travel the world.
Ken visited eight countries in four years, but once he came to Mexico he found himself in a place that instantly felt like home. He worked as a scuba instructor for tourists, and that turned into underwater photography and video, and then it morphed into weddings and landscapes.
Ken says shooting weddings appealed to his nature, because he grew up surrounded by love. He loves capturing the special moments between couples, and he feels privileged to be able to share in the couple’s special day. Ken says he has had a Bridezilla or two, but the majority of brides are walking 3 feet off the ground.
Ken’s Tips for Brides
● The first dance is better when you and your groom move around.
● Smile and look up when you are first announced, bride and groom.
● Take a breath and get out of your own head. Everything will be fine.
For Ken, the Mexican people are what keep him in the Riviera Maya. They are warm and friendly. He also loves the climate with its blue skies and cool nights, the delicious food, and the natural beauty.
Ken’s Favorite Spots:
● Bacalar — The lagoon of 7 colors.
● El Pirata — Ken’s go-to spot for ceviche in Playa del Carmen.
● Las Hijas de la Tostada — Great spot for lunch.
● La Rana Cansada — A hotel/bar that feels like home.
Use these Resources to Continue Your Journey:
Email Kay: Askkay@locogringo.com